Back by popular demand: A new compact Stereo Width Controller for audio mastering is based on designs published in the Pro Audio Design Forum. The Width Controller uses a high accuracy THAT1240 line receivers to perform audio sum and difference functions providing crosstalk performance unobtainable with conventional precision resistors. The Width Controller maintains signal in the Left and Right domains processing only Side to either add or subtract Side information providing adjustment of Stereo Width from 0 to 200%. The final processed signal is fully mono compatible.
The Stereo Width Controller has the following features:
- THAT1246 balanced inputs.
- THAT1646 balanced outputs.
- Width Control for external 2KΩ-10KΩ linear taper stepped switch or potentiometer.
- On-board relay bypass with current-limited LED output.
- No external relay supply required. On-board rail-powered 78L24 regulator.
Mechanical and Power Specifications
- Board Size: 4" x 2" Mounting holes: M3 on a 3.7" x 1.7" pattern. Assembled height: Approximately 0.6" not including stand-offs.
- Power Requirements: ±15 to ±18V (max) approximately 50 mA including relay and LED. (Not including signal current). Relay common is isolated from audio signal ground.
- Inputs: THAT1246. Input Impedance 24KΩ differential, 18KΩ common mode. Maximum input level +27 dBu.
- Outputs: THAT1646. Output impedance 50Ω nominal. Maximum output level +27 dBu.
- Width Level: 0-200%. (Side Gain -∞ to +6 dB.)
- Width Level Control: Input Impedance at the Wiper Connection: 50KΩ. Recommended control value is 2KΩ to 10KΩ linear taper. For stepped switches make-before-break required. (MBB is standard for Elma 15° 24 position switches.)
- Distortion: Output level +20 dBu into 10KΩ load: 1 kHz THD 0.00012%, primarily HD3.
- Noise: -97 dBu soft-bypassed, -95 dBu process in side gain 0 dB. -99 dBu A-weighted bypassed, -97 dBu A-weighted with process in. Dynamic range 122 dB.
Note: Noise measurements are for a 20-20 kHz bandwidth and are unweighted unless specified. Maximum level specifications are for ±15V supplies.
The construction and document thread for the Stereo Width Controller is featured in the Pro Audio Design Forum.
The Stereo Width Controller is sold either as a bare PC board, a "kit" including THAT1240, THAT1246 and THAT1646 ICs, or a fully-assembled and tested module. For DIY builds a Mouser Electronics Project Manager bill-of-materials is available.
Stereo Width Controller for Mastering and Transfer, Assembled and Tested PC Board
- Brand: KA Electronics/Rockmore-Labs
- Product Code: SWC-PCB-AT
- Availability: In Stock